FAQ: Application for the Master programs

Which documents do I need to hand in?

  1. Form ‘Anmeldung zur Eignungsfeststellungsprüfung und Bewerbung um einen Studienplatz’
  2. Curriculum vitae
  3. Letter of motivation (max. two pages)
  4. Summary of your bachelor thesis
  5. Copy of higher education entrance qualification (Abitur or recognized equivalent)
  6. For BIO and BEE Master: Proof of proficiency English (B2 CEF), except for English native speakers and applicants with a degree from an English university.In addition, for the BIO Master: Proof of proficiency German (C1 level), except for German native speakers, applicants with a German Abitur, and applicants with a degree from a German university.
  7. Optional: max. two letters of reference from your professor or faculty member
  8. Bachelor certificate and Transcript of records (legally attested copy). Degrees from outside the EU have to be evaluated by the Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs (www.kmk.org).

If you have not graduated yet:

  1. Current Transcript of records of all modules completed so far, at least 140 ECTS (original or legally attested copy)
  2. Form ‘Bescheinigung über die bisher erbrachten Gesamtleistungspunkte und bisherigen Notendurchschnitt’ to prove that you will have completed your Bachelor’s degree by the end of September this year (all exams have to be taken until Sept 30, but do not need be marked yet)

Applicants who have not completed their undergraduate degree by September 30th cannot be enrolled in the master programme starting October 1st of the same year.

What should the letter of motivation include?

The letter of motivation should describe relevant additional qualifications, such as training in relevant professions, volunteer or part-time work in a relevant area, civil-science activities, programming skills or internships. If you were involved in student self-governance or administration, please provide evidence of this in your letter of motivation too. The letter should not exceed two pages.

Which additional documents can I supply?

If you have confirmation letters for specific qualifications, please add them to your application documents. This can include confirmation of stays abroad, internships, stipends, awards, participation in research projects, and so forth. This will help us to understand your individual background and motivation for applying in our programs.

What degree do you need in order to apply?

You need a BSc degree in Biology or related sciences. For the Master program BIO, you need a focus in biology, neuroscience or biodiversity, for the Master program BEE, you need a focus in biodiversity, ecology, or evolution. Degrees from outside the EU have to be evaluated by the Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs (www.kmk.org).

I do not have a degree in any of the listed subjects. Can I still apply?

If you feel that your background in your Bachelor is not entirely related to our Master program BEE or BIO, we suggest placing special emphasis on your letter of motivation and why you feel you would be well suited for the study program. Also, providing internships, confirmations of stays abroad or other confirmations showing your engagement in related topics would be beneficial.

I am just finishing my degree and do not have the certificate yet. What should I do?

Please submit your official transcript of records showing that you have completed at least 135 ECTS. If you can obtain a confirmation of your university that you have completed your coursework and are waiting for your certificate, you may also submit this as additional document.

Applicants who have not completed their undergraduate degree by September 30th cannot be enrolled in the master programme starting October 1st of the same year.

Which language certificates should I provide for admission to the Master programs?

For both Master programs your knowledge of English must be at least equivalent to B2 English language skills (or IELTS > 5.5, or TOEFL > 72). A BSc degree from an English speaking institution will also be sufficient.

For the Biology Master program you also need to demonstrate knowledge of German at or above C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). At the start of your application it is sufficient to provide a certificate of German language proficiency at B2 level, but you must then provide a C1 level certificate when you enroll.For more details see here.

Can I apply for both Master courses?

Yes, but you will have to prepare two separated applications.

Can I apply for more than one main focus within the Master of Biology?


Who can I contact regarding questions about my main focus or courses?

The study office is only responsible for the administrative part of your study. If you have specific questions about which main focus to aim for, please contact an academic mentor. If you have questions regarding a specific course or elective, please contact the relevant lecturer.

Getting started in Leipzig and Germany

Here is the main information site for international students.

Visa requirements

Students from the European Union, the European Economic Area and some other countries do NOT require a visa. All other students require a Visa, especially those intending to stay in Germany for longer than three months. If you require a visa, then you will have to provide proof that you have sufficient funds to live in Germany.

Cost or studying in Leipzig

Semester fee
You must pay the semester fee (currently 210 Euro) on time before the start of each semester. It applies to all students at our university, including doctoral candidates and attendees of the Studienkolleg Sachsen.

Tuition fees
Leipzig University does not currently charge tuition fees for a student’s first degree. Please note, however, that in certain cases students may be required to pay fees for a second degree or for exceeding the standard period of study by too long. 

Monthly costs
You will need at the very least about 700€ per month to cover the cost of living in Leipzig.
Rent for apartment/room: €150–€425
Health insurance: €90
Study material: €50
Food, clothing, miscellaneous: €250

One-off costs
In addition to the monthly costs, you should expect additional one-off costs at the start of your studies, such as a deposit for your accommodation. You should budget for approximately €750 more for getting started in Leipzig.

Health insurance

All students are legally required to have adequate health insurance. As an exchange student you are required to obtain a certificate of insurance from a German public health insurance provider (e.g. TK, AOK, BARMER/GEK, DAK etc.). This certificate is a mandatory requirement for enrollment at the University of Leipzig. The German public health insurance provider will assess whether you require compulsory insurance coverage in Germany. If you have the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) you will receive the certificate of insurance on presenting this card to a German public health insurance provider. Most international students will, however, have to purchase German health insurance in order to obtain it. 

Finding an apartment

There are several opportunities: e.g. halls of residence or shared apartments. For details see the link at the top of the page.


In contrast to other countries, universities in Germany hardly award any scholarships. However, there are a few options, see the link at the top of the page.

Working in Germany while studying

You can work while studying. If you are a full-time EU or EEA student (or from Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland) you can work for up to 20 hours per week. If you are a full-time student from outside of the EU, you will be limited to working up to 120 full days or 240 half days per year before you must apply for a work permit. Upon gaining paid work in Germany you should contact the German employment office to learn about the legal conditions.
Help for newly arrived students The staff of the International Centre is familiar with the typical situation of new international students and offers help.

Staying in Germany after completing the studies

After completing your studies in Germany as an international student, you can apply for a residence permit to stay in the country and seek work for an additional period of 18 months. If you get a job in Germany within this time you should extend your visa, residence, or work permit to ensure you are living in the country legally. 

Is there a minimum or maximum age limit for studying in Germany?

If you fulfill all requirements to apply, there is no age restriction.

Useful links for getting started in Leipzig and Germany: 

Studying in Germany

Living in Germany

Living in Working in Leipzig 

Welcome Centre City of Leipzig

Welcome to Saxony! (information for migrants from Free State of Saxony)

Leipzig International magazine The Leipzig Glocal with useful insider blog discussions

Student Union University Leipzig

Language centre at University Leipzig (with a language tandem project)

Forums to ask questions about living in Germany and/or Leipzig:

Leipzig Expats, InterNational Community @facebook

Life in Central Germany @toytown Germany

letzte Änderung: 08.10.2020